Summers are here in full swing with harsh sun in all forces ready to damage you skin. Summers are all about sweat. I sweat like a pig. There is dust dryness pollution,germs everywhere.
- You know what to do?
- You know how to take care of it?
You know that your balanced hydration levels and proper skin care regimen is going to be your savior.
Every beauty product that protects your skin from those powerful damaging sun rays becomes your best friend. Number one on this list in a sunscreen. It is a savior for your skin, especially in summers!!!
Why use Sunscreen
Sunscreen has been developed to take care of your skin from the unwanted, harmful rays which damage the skin, either by darkening the skin, or accelerating skin aging giving you unwanted fine lines and wrinkles.
Sunscreen is applied for numerous reasons other than just avoiding suntan
- To protect your skin from UAV and UVB rays.
- Skiping it can lead to skin problems such as redness,skin cancer,premature skin aging etc.
- Sunscreens moisturises too.
Selecting the right Sunscreen and SPF
Some years ago we thought 15 SPF product offered sufficient UV protection under most conditions However, It is now known that often more sun protection is needed to protect ourselves from sun damage.
It’s ideal to select a sunscreen that blocks enough UV rays to adequately protect your skin type.
Use the Sun Protection Factor Guide.
On the other hand are also sunscreens containing naturally occurring SPF ingredients such as carrot seed oil, wheatgerm oil, raspberry seed oil, jojoba oil etc.
Things to Remember
I hope you must be knowing these .But since I’m talking about sunscreen, there are few tips which you must remember :
- Apply sunscreen 15 min prior to going out as it needs time to absorbed well.
- Reapply every 2 to 3 hours, if you will be outdoor or under the sun.
- Use decent SPF sunscreen as per your requirement . If you are staying in your office more,you can opt for lesser SPF.
- SPF stands for “Sun Protection Factor “.You should know what exactly SPF is ,right ? ( check the chart above)
- I read this on net somewhere that your SPF don’t add up. This means if you apply SPF 40 and then SPF 15, you are not getting SPF 55 protection. It is also recommended not to mix and match 2 sunscreen anyway.
- Select a sunscreen with UVA as well as UBV protection. Both of these combined can protect your skin better.
People who get sunburned usually didn’t use enough sunscreen, didn’t reapply it after being in the sun, or used an expired product.
Your skin is exposed to the sun’s harmful UV rays every time you go outside, even on cloudy days and in the winter. So whether you are on vacation or taking a brisk fall walk in your neighborhood, remember to use sunscreen.
With so much of information, Let me tell you some great Sunscreens available in market (in no Order of preference. )
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-In-1 Matte-Look Daily Sunblock SPF 40 PA+++
Price : INR 275 for 120 g.
- This sunscreen is not greasy and has a matt finish when applied on the skin.
- It has SPF 40, which is good for the harsh Indian weather
- It has a mild smell and goes long way, as small quantity is enough to offer wide covering, thus keeping your fresh all day long.
VLCC Matte Look Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 PA++ with Pineapple Extracts
Priced: INR 293 /-
This creamy, non-greasy, lightweight matte look sunscreen from VLCC contains 4% zinc oxide. It has the goodness of Carrot seed oil, Jojoba oil and Almond oil that keeps the skin well hydrated. The cucumber & aloe vera extracts soothes and prevents sun burns . This sunscreen looks like a foundation cream which gives a radiant glow to the face and provides sun protection from both UVA and UVB rays INR 293/.
Lakme Sun Expert UV Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
Price : INR 493/-
This Lakme lotion is the best sunscreen lotion in India and has one of the highest SPF, 50 PA++++-. It is light weight unlike other sunscreens, which are known to be thick and heavy on the skin. The packaging is convenient owing to its pump dispenser . It has a citrusy smell. It is non greasy and offers a good texture between creamy to powdery .
Aroma Magic Sunblock Lotion SPF 30 PA++ :
Priced: INR 175/.
This sunblock lotion from Blossom Kocchar is an all mineral physical sunscreen with non nano zinc oxide, green tea extracts and roman chamomile essential oils. It has whipped creamy texture that is not heavy and gets absorbed quite easily to give matte finish.
It makes it suitable for oily combination skin types.
They have many variants , my favorite being Aloe Vera Sunscreen and Cucumber sunscreen which are equally good catering to different skin types.
Garnier Sun Control Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 :
Priced : INR 148 /.
It is the most popular and best sunscreen in India. This sunscreen goes a long way as little is enough. It is offered in a thick peach color consistency and is known to spread quite easily. It is non greasy too.
By Divya Sharma