For centuries journaling has been considered to be one of the good habits a person could ever possess. Journaling is not only a good habit but it will also help you have better and sound mental health.
People always say, if something is bothering you, you will definitely feel better when you vent it out to someone. But most of us might not be very comfortable talking about ourselves to others even if they are the closest person to us. That is when you can make use of a journal. Whatever you write in your journal is safe between you and your journal. When you try it down you could vividly feel yourself relaxing like never before.
Usefulness of journaling
- When you start writing your issues, you will be able to manage your anxiety much better.
- It reduces your stress and helps you cope with depression.
- When you write regularly for 15-20 minutes a day, it reduces your mental and physical stress.
- People who have practiced journaling for a period of 4 months continuously have shown improvement in their health.
- Journaling also helps you boost your immunity. Journaling has reduced stress, pressure level and improves liver functioning.
- Journaling not just reduces your stress but on the other hand it will boost your mood and gives you sharp memory.
All these are medically proven facts.
Now that we know, journaling is good for mental health, let us see how to actually journal.
How to Journal
When you pick up your journal and start writing “Dear Diary…..” you might feel too childish or cliche. Sometimes people might feel very difficult to put a word on the paper because they say they are not a writer or bad at writing. Of course, writing is a very tedious job and it might feel impossible to write something decent but relax and write anything and everything you feel like. The point is to write. Nobody is going to read your journal or you are not going to send it to publishers for publication. Relax and write. However childish or unworthy it might seem to you.
Keep your journal and pen always handy. You might not know when the need and desire to write down may come. So it is always better to have it ready. You can also use your mobile phone as your diary for easy handling and accessibility. You can write down whatever you want to or whatever you feel like writing. There are no restrictions or guidelines. You can be as open as you can be. You don’t need to show your journal to anyone until and unless you feel like sharing it with someone. But for your kind information journals are something very personal, so no one is going to judge you when you refuse to show them yours.
Start journaling for your better health!